No 7: Protect and Perfect Serum
Can No 7 really get rid of and prevent wrinkles? We've put it under our skin care microscope to find out.
- Contains antioxidants which fight free radicals
- Formula includes peptides which help fight wrinkles
- Works well as a primer before applying makeup
- Some find the product to be greasy
- Contains 2 active anti-aging ingredients, last on the list
- Contains parabens and phenoxyethanol
- Breakouts reported in those with oily or combination skin
Overview: The Spectacularly Spectacular (...Or So They Say)
No 7 Protect and Perfect Serum is a supposedly "clinically proven" serum which promises to supercharge your skincare regimen. But it isn't the first generation of this particular product. According to the manufacturer, their formula has recently been re-engineered to improve upon its already "spectacular" anti-aging effects. No 7 promises not just to fade your blemishes, but to also protect against wrinkles and other signs of aging.
How valid are these claims, though? Pretty much every single wrinkle cream insists that it is THE product which can eliminate current wrinkles, prevent future ones, and keep you looking younger for longer. But not all creams and serums are telling consumers the truth. Our review aims to take a close look at No 7's claims to see if this serum is a purchase worth making.
A Closer Look: Is it 100% Safe? Not Necessarily
No 7 serum contains two anti-aging peptides, which pretty much comprise all the active ingredients worth mentioning in the formula. The only other good ones are retinyl palmitate, which isn't known to yield meaningful results on its own, morus alba leaf and ginseng root extract. The latter two are powerful antioxidants. HOWEVER. Note that these ingredients are the furthest down the list. The two peptides, which are really the only ingredients that would make much impact at all, are the LAST 2 on the list.
A serum can also be used as a makeup primer.
Along with their short list of active ingredients, there are also many problematic ingredients as well. Some of those are methylparaben, ethylparaben and phenoxyethanol. These are chemicals you do not want to be putting in, or on, your body. That right there was enough to make me want to stay away from this serum. Because of the inclusion of these increasingly suspect chemicals, I would not categorize the No7 Protect and Perfect Intense Beauty Serum as officially "safe to use."
Customer reviews on No 7 are mixed. Some seem to be positive. Other customers complain about its "greasy feel", the small size of the bottle, and being unsure whether it's working or not. Those who like the serum praise how effective it is as a primer base before putting on their makeup.
- Product contains peptides which work to target wrinkles.
- Includes antioxidants to help fight free radicals and prevent damage.
- Customers say it's a good primer base for applying makeup.
- Some customer reviews complain that it is too greasy.
- It only has 2 real anti-aging ingredients which are last on the list.
- You can only buy small, 1 fl. Oz. bottles.
- It may cause breakouts for people with oily or combination skin.
Conclusion: Problematic, Anti-Climactic
As far as I can tell, No 7 Protect and Perfect Intense Advanced Serum leaves a lot to be desired. The fact that it is a good primer for applying makeup is a definite plus. But beyond that, this serum has too many problems that would make me want to stay away from it.
You'd think the peptides would make a difference in the appearance of wrinkles, but more than a few customers said that it didn't. Also, if you have oily or combination skin, you're going to want to use this formula sparingly to avoid breakouts.
But guess what? I've found plenty of wrinkle creams and serums that are reliable. And I've written about them in our reviews section.
Senior Editor & Skincare Expert
Rebecca Austin is a well-established aesthetician with over 20 years experience in skincare. She has researched over 5,000 products over the past decade, striving to help her readers fine-tune their skincare routine so they can get the results they want.
HOW DOES NO 7 COMPARE?
- #1 recommended to support younger-looking skin.
- Clinically shown to reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
- Rescues and protects skin from damage.
- Deeply moisturizes to reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
- Versatile, all-inclusive, anti-aging skincare
- Restores youthfulness and radiance for the long term
- Contains Ritapro 165, a next-gen moisturizer.
- Helps to reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
- High-end European company with spa-quality products.
- Uses Padina pavonica algae to boost collagen.